- Going into this scene, what does each character want, both in the book as a whole and, more importantly, from this interaction in particular?
- What does each character know or think they know?
- What is each character afraid of?
- (Related) What is each character trying to conceal?
- What is the setting?
- What aspects of the setting reflect the POV character's mood?
- What aspects of the setting is the POV character likely to notice and be affected by?
- (Per Mary Robinette Kowal's excellent suggestion on Writing Excuses) Which of Orson Scott Card's M. I. C. E. elements (milieu, idea, character, event) most defines this interaction? How does that influence where the scene stops and starts?
Just brainstorming these ideas has given a bit more structure to both the scene I just wrote and the scene I'm about to write. I think this idea has promise. What other questions would it be productive to ask?